Friday 10 June 2011

Revelling in her new found freedom

One of my sisters sent a BB message early this morning to tell me that she was doing just that: revelling in her new found freedom. Freedom from what I hear you say? Freedom from stress, freedom from busyness and a release into a state of being at liberty.

She has submitted her final piece of course work for her second Masters programme and had thus decided to take the whole of June off. Off work, off stress, off busyness. I had noticed that her BB profile pics were changing rather oddly throughout the whole of this month thus far. I thought something was amiss – for someone who was reticent (as I am, I suppose) to upload a picture of herself on her BB profile, she was uploading a new picture every day. Beautiful pictures, I might add. Whatever is going on in Abidemi’s life, I wondered? Whatever it was, I liked her refreshed and daily refreshing BB profile pics.

So this morning she spilled the beans
She’s taken June off. Off so that she could be. Off should that she could live. Off so that she could rest. Off so that she could celebrate herself. And off so that she could exhale – really exhale from a deep joy. Even I exhaled as I read her BB IM. My response? ‘Dearest sis, celebrating yourself is one of your life’s commission’.

As I wrote that it almost felt narcissistic, and even blasphemous. But I typed that nevertheless. As I grow in age I am beginning to cherish so many things and people that are dear to so much more. The need to reconnect with old friends and stay connected to them. The need to take that trip to Zurich whilst in London if only for a even a day to connect with an old friend whose friendship I value but who I have not been able to meet up with less on Skype and email for too many years. The need t take that extra day whilst on a business trip to Kenya and celebrate with old friends – and take that trip to the Masai Mara. The need to rise up early and watch the sunrise during that weekend away on the secluded and serene and warming beach bay of Lou Moon Lodge. The need to fill my home with those pleasantries that calm and relax me. The need to start cooking hosting weekend lunches and dinners again. The need to take time out whilst on a business trip thousands and thousands and thousands of miles away to call my lovely, lovely niece and wish her a happy 8th birthday. The need to take that 5 hour drive to that quaint upcountry resort with my sister for the weekend. The need to celebrate life.

Series Life Indulgence in the Little Things
Such needs consume me now. Like Abidemi I had also just recently completed a Masters programme. And I found time on my hands again to use as I desired – and I knew I had to use the time most preciously. I wanted to recommence series Life Indulgence in the Little Things. Me-time on Saturday mornings. Spending time with protégés and mentors. Choosing and wanting to wake up early to pray and praise.

It’s a new life all over again. Won’t you join us?

No comments: